The Gary United Methodist Church was started on November 23, 1879 when a circuit rider organized the Gary-Canby Methodist Charge with 15 members. Land was purchased from Calvin J.B. Harris on June 16, 1882 and the church was built in 1883.
In the fall of 1926 the Presbyterian Church in Gary was discontinued, and many from the church united with the Gary Methodist Church.
During the Reverend Jarman’s years, the Gary and Clear Lake churches united into one charge with the minister living in Gary. The Methodist Episcopal and Methodist Protestant Churches held a Uniting Conference to form the Methodist Church when Reverend Cascini was Reverend.
When the Methodist Church merged with the Evangelical United Brethren the church became the Gary United Methodist Church.
The Gary United Methodist Church is very active in mission work, and will collect items for the Tree of Life located in Mission, SD. The church collects items for the mission and will deliver them to the mission.